The Conditions for Learning Approach
Our Approach for transforming classrooms requires a consistent focus on nine key strategic areas which combine academic rigor with students′ personal and social development. These nine strategic areas are categorized into three pillars: Engaging Instruction, Responsive Classrooms, and Inspiring Curriculum.
Create an atmosphere of inclusion, community, and positive interdependence.
- Design lessons that are anchored to specific goals and objectives
- Organize learning into a manageable and teachable progression
- Deliver lessons that require students to think critically and actively participate
- Create an environment of positive interdependence among students
- Learn a variety of strategies for increasing student engagement
- Teach students to analyze and implement productive individual and group behavior
- Teach students to resolve conflict peacefully
- Empower students to make rational decisions and problem solve
- Develop classroom management systems that teach students to take responsibility for their actions
Motivate readers and writers through student-centered literacy strategies.
- Identify assessments that inform instruction on a daily basis
- Utilize assessments to target specific academic needs of students
- Teach responsively and intervene based on student need
- Design classroom structures that allow students to develop academic skills – each at their own level
- Incorporate flexible, small group instruction consistently and routinely
- Maximize student growth and individual success
- Teach empathy, compassion, and concern for students′ personal and academic success
- Allow students to reinforce skills learned in class and promote a culture of learning school-wide
- Provide opportunities for students to make positive, lasting contributions to the school community
Build experiences that tap into students’ natural curiosity and desire to learn.
- Plan meaningful units that teach essential concepts and skills anchored to content standards
- Align standards with materials and strategies to ensure understanding
- Identify student outcomes that measure mastery of targeted standards
- Tap into students’ curiosity and inherent desire to learn
- Promote meaningful family and community involvement
- Provide authentic forums for students to demonstrate their creativity and genius
- Make academic content relevant to students by creating opportunities for students to effect change in their community
- Expose students to the idea of active and engaged citizenship
- Encourage youth voice and expand students′ understanding of local, national, and global challenges